NewsSoutheast Valley NewsChandler News


83-year-old Chandler man describes escape from Chandler house fire

Posted at 4:44 PM, May 15, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-15 20:13:08-04

CHANDLER, AZ — An 83-year-old Chandler man described the terrifying moments he escaped after his house went up in flames.

It happened Tuesday night near Dobson and Warner Roads.

"I got out with what was just on my back," Max Yeates told ABC15. "I didn't even have shoes. Somebody brought me these shoes this morning."

Yeates said his home was having electrical problems. "I had an electrician come out because yesterday when I got up I had no power in my den," Yeates said. "He found the short but it was getting too late so he had to go home and was going to come back today. I guess when he comes back today he's going to see he probably left a little too soon."

He says after the electrician left Tuesday, he fell asleep while watching TV in his bedroom.

"At about the same time my alarm went off. My neighbor was knocking on the door saying get out of there your house is on fire," Yeates said.

Yeates said he was able to escape, as surrounding neighbors watched in disbelief. Even more surprising, he says this isn't the first time a fire has destroyed his home.

"Many years ago our house burned down," Yeates said. "I saw where my house was at, flames coming up and I was about petrified because I thought my parents were in there but they weren't. But this is the second time this has happened."

Yeates and his dog, who also escaped the fire, are now staying with family for the time being.