Nearly all of SR-51 will be shut down in both directions at various times this weekend, October 23-26. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, the closure will be in place for crews to apply an asphalt pavement sealant. Other freeways will have closures or lane restrictions for other projects.
Here is ADOT's Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory, exactly as it appears on the official website:
- Southbound State Route 51 closed between Loop 101 and the I-10/Loop 202 “Mini-Stack” interchange SR 51 “Mini-Stack” interchange from 11 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Saturday (Oct. 24) for pavement sealant application.
- Detour: Alternate freeway routes include southbound I-17 (Phoenix area) and southbound Loop 101 (Scottsdale area). Drivers can consider alternate local routes including southbound Seventh Street or southbound Tatum Boulevard to 44th Street.
- Note: Crews will be prepared to reopen southbound SR 51 in sections as their “fog seal” work progresses on Saturday.
- Northbound State Route 51 closed between I-10/Loop 202 “Mini-Stack” interchange and Loop 101 from 11 p.m. Saturday to 7 p.m. Sunday (Oct. 25) for pavement sealant application.
- Detour: Alternate freeway routes include northbound I-17 (Phoenix area) and northbound Loop 101 (Scottsdale area). Drivers can consider alternate local routes including northbound Seventh Street or northbound 44th Street to Tatum Boulevard.
- Note: Crews will be prepared to reopen westbound Loop 202 in sections as their “fog seal” work progresses on Sunday.
- Westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed at Seventh Street from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 26) for widening project.
- Detour: Traffic will detour along the off- and on-ramps at Seventh Street. Drivers also can consider alternate local routes.
- Eastbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) narrowed to one lane between I-10 and Price Road in the Chandler area from 5 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 26) for pavement improvements. Eastbound I-10 HOV lane ramp to eastbound Loop 202 closed.
- Detour: Allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes including eastbound Chandler Boulevard.
- Eastbound I-10 ramp to northbound I-17 at the “Stack” interchange closed overnight from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 24) for scheduled bridge inspection.
- Detour: Consider exiting eastbound I-10 to northbound 35th or 27th avenues and using eastbound McDowell or Thomas roads to access northbound I-17.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend!