TEMPE — The "Walmart On Campus" store on Arizona State University's Tempe campus will close by June 28, Walmart has confirmed to ABC15.
The 5,000-square-foot store opened in May 2013 and was located in the plaza of ASU's Vista del Sol apartment complex near Apache Blvd. and McAllister Avenue in Tempe, according to an online news release.
"After a thoughtful review process, we have made the decision to close our Walmart on Campus store located on the campus of Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ. We plan to close the store by June 28, ending the pilot we started a few years ago," Walmart said in a statement. "We will continue to integrate the positive business practices we gained from these campus-based stores into the broader fleet moving forward. We invite students and other customers to shop at our more than 10 stores within 10 miles of this location and on Walmart.com."
According to an online news release, the first Walmart on Campus store opened in 2011 at the University of Arkansas.
Business Insider reported in June that Walmart had closed more than 100 stores across the country.
In April, Walmart closed two of its "Walmart Neighborhood Markets" in Chandler and Marana, citing overall performance, according to a Walmart spokesperson. The company also announced in April that it would renovate 14 stores in Arizona.
- 4435 W Anthem Way, Anthem, AZ 85086
- 2840 AZ-95, Bullhead City, AZ 86442
- 100 S Ragus Rd, Claypool, AZ 85532
- 2003 E Rodeo Dr, Cottonwood, AZ 86326
- 199 W, 5th St, Douglas, AZ 85607
- 2725 E McKellips Rd, Mesa, AZ 85213
- 1017 Haul Rd, Page, AZ 86040
- 1825 W Bell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85023
- 3050 AZ-69, Prescott, AZ 86301
- 755 S 20th Ave, Safford, AZ 85546
- 4915 N Pima Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
- 500 AZ-90, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635
- 1260 E Tucson Marketplace Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85713
- 2823 W Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85746
According to the release, the renovations include expanding its grocery pick-up service, installing more pick-up towers, and adding technology to unload merchandise off its delivery trucks faster.