Unattended barbeque sparks backyard fire

Posted at 5:12 AM, May 30, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-30 08:21:09-04

Fire officials were able to keep an overnight backyard fire from spreading to the home.

The incident happened shortly after 2 a.m. on Monday in the area of Mill Avenue and Alameda Drive in Tempe

Tempe fire says an unattended barbeque grill in the backyard of a residence sparked a fire in the backyard. The fire spread to dry leaves and then to the fence.

Firefighters were able to gain control of the fire. No structures were burned.

Firefighters remind the public to grill away from siding, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.

There were no reported injuries to residents or firefighters.