NewsSoutheast Valley NewsTempe News


Overdose suspected after ASU student dies in residential hall

Posted at 6:18 PM, Jan 28, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-29 20:24:55-05

TEMPE, AZ — For the second time in the past few months, a student has died inside a residential hall on Arizona State University's Tempe campus.

The family has identified that student as 19-year-old ASU freshman Michael Terra.

ASU police say at around 10 p.m. Sunday night, officers responded to Sonora Center, a residential hall, after getting a call that a student had died.

"He was one of those kids that was very special, only came around once every 10 years or so," Terra's high school football coach in Quakertown, Pennsylvania, George Banas said.

But along with football, Terra was also an actor. His acting coach, Patrick Day, says as a kid Terra had parts in major motion pictures like the movie "And So It Goes" with Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton. Day says just last month, Terra drove from ASU to Los Angeles for an audition.

"I think we should remember his spirit, his drive, his determination," Day said.

Police say they do not suspect foul play, but say "preliminary indications are that that the incident may have been an overdose."

"We never expected something like this to happen to someone like him," ASU student Jared Waters said.

In November, ASU student Ivan Aguirre died in his dorm room at ASU's Greek Leadership Village.

A medical examiner's report states his death was ruled an accident after Aguirre took what he believed to be Xanax.

The report states fentanyl and etizolam was actually found in his system.

In this most recent case, ASU police say it could be premature to speculate on whether fentanyl was involved.