Firefighters say a home and neighboring shed are a total loss after a fire ignited Friday afternoon.
Crews from Rural/Metro were on the scene at a home in the 8000 block of Fourth Avenue in Mesa, near the intersection of Main Street and Sossaman Road.
Fourth and Third avenues were closed while firefighters were on scene.
@RuralMetroCAZ on scene of a house fire in Mesa. Power off in the area. pic.twitter.com/ufdzuJ6rmM
— RuralMetroCorp (@RuralMetroCAZ) July 15, 2016
Information from Salt River Power said about 400 customers were without service in the area near the fire. As of 2:50 p.m., SRP said all but 52 customers had their power restored. The remaining people without power were expected to have service again by 2:30 a.m. Saturday, according to SRP's online outage information.
Pwr out E Mesa, 80 homes affected from 80th St-Hawes/5th Ave-3rd Ave & Red Cross set up temporary shelter @ 7550 E Adobe Red Mtn Rec Center
— Officer Palma (@OfficerPalma) July 16, 2016
Rural/Metro said the fire was reported to have been ignited by sparks from a grinder that landed in dry grass.
There was no immediate word on the extent of injuries, if any.