Residents are able to pick up free sandbags at several locations as the Valley is expected to receive heavy rain early this week.
Contact your local fire department or city website for more information on sandbags.
These cities have announced current availability:
Residents can get sand at the self-service fire station locations. Bags are provided for free, but you'll need to bring your own tools. Apache Junction says bags and sand are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If firefighters are at the station and not busy with calls, they can assist.
- Fire Station 261, 1135 W. Superstition Blvd.
- Fire Station 262, 3955 W. Superstition Blvd.
- Fire Station 264, 7557 East U.S. Highway 60, Gold Canyon
Sand and bags are available for residents at the Buckeye Public Works Department yard at 432 Arizona Eastern Avenue. Residents can fill up to 10 bags.
Sand and bags are available at the Goodyear Community Park, Roscoe Dog Park and Fire Station 182. Goodyear says those taking advantage of the sandbags need to bring their own shovels.
To prepare your home, the City of Mesa said you will need to bring your own shovel but can fill bags one-half to two-thirds full at various fire stations.
City officials advise that bags should lay flat once filled, and tying them is not necessary.
Residents can pick up sandbags at the following locations:
- Fire Station 202, 830 S. Stapley Drive
- Fire Station 204, 1426 S. Extension
- Fire Station 205, 730 S. Greenfield
- Fire Station 209, 7035 E. Southern
- Fire Station 212, 2430 S. Ellsworth
Sandbags that are already filled are also available at the following Transportation Department locations:
- Transportation Building, 300 E. 6th St.
- East Mesa Service Center, 6935 E. Decatur (front parking lot)
- Corner of Ellsworth Road and Crewse Lane (across from Founders' Park and just south of the dog park)
- Fire Station 2, located at 2787 S. Sossaman Road
Pre-made sandbags are available for Goldmine Estates residents at the entrance to the community.
- Near the city's north Corporation Yard, 9379 E. San Salvador
- Near Distric 1 Police Headquarters, 7601 E. McKellips Road