Fire crews extinguish cooking blaze in Mesa

Posted at 9:01 AM, Jan 14, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-14 11:02:19-05

Mesa Fire officials say a woman lost her home after a large fire consumed the structure while she was cooking Wednesday night.

The fire started before 10 p.m. and quickly spread from the kitchen into the attic of her townhome located near Southern Avenue and Val Vista Drive.

More than 60 firefighters and paramedics were at the scene and managed to stop the large fire from spreading to neighboring townhomes. It took them around 20 minutes to extinguish the flames.

According to the resident, the fire started due to a lack of attention while she was cooking.