NewsSoutheast Valley NewsChandler News


PD: Suspect shot 3 Chandler officers, set home on fire, evaded police

Posted at 4:01 AM, Apr 27, 2020

CHANDLER, AZ — A suspect has been arrested after shooting three officers in Chandler Monday morning, hiding out inside a home, and lighting it on fire, police say.

The first incident occurred around 1 a.m. near Chandler Boulevard and Arizona Avenue, police say.

An officer was attempting to make contact with a suspicious person when the suspect, later identified as 35-year-old Rigoberto Polanco Jimenez, fled. He fired shots toward the officer with a semi-automatic pistol. One of the shots went through the officer’s leg.

A home in the area was also struck by gunfire, but no other injuries were reported.

While Jimenez was fleeing, he jumped several fences into the backyards of nearby homes, cutting himself and leaving a blood trail.

Officers searched for Jimenez and after speaking with a woman who identified the man as “Rigo,” conducted a search of a home. Six officers went into the home and located Jimenez inside a bathroom.

Jimenez began firing at the officers, striking one in the chest and hitting his ballistic vest, and another in the waist, hitting his magazine holder. The other four officers in the home were in the direct line of fire but were not struck. Three of the officers reportedly returned fire.

A perimeter was set up around the home when Jimenez refused to exit for several hours.

Jimenez set the home on fire and through the smoke, he was able to escape. He went to a nearby apartment complex where he forced entry. He was taken into custody at the apartment complex.

Jimenez admitted to his involvement in all of the crimes and said he didn’t realize the first person who contacted him was a police officer.

Jimenez also admitted to involvement in a shooting that occurred on April 24, using the same pistol.

He is a convicted felon and cannot possess a firearm, according to official documents. Paperwork shows he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the incident.

He was booked into jail on multiple charges including attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault on officers, criminal damage, arson, burglary, endangerment, prohibited weapon possession and more.

Authorities told residents in the area to shelter in place while the situation unfolded. The order was lifted shortly after 1p.m.