House catches fire in north Phoenix, odor of natural gas detected

Posted at 5:02 AM, Sep 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-17 08:39:57-04

An investigation is underway after a home in north Phoenix caught fire Saturday night. 

Just after 11 p.m., crews responded to a home near 19th Avenue and Union Hills Drive to find a single story home engulfed in flames, according to the Phoenix Fire Department.

Fire officials decided to fight the fire from the outside of the home due to the amount of fire inside. 

After 20 minutes of fighting the fire, crews reportedly detected a strong odor of natural gas, hazmat crews then confirmed the presence of the gas with meters. 

Neighbors told fire crews that the house had been vacant for several weeks. 

No injuries to firefighters or civilians were reported. 

Southwest Gas and fire investigators were dispatched to the scene to assess the gas situation and to determine the cause and origin of the fire.