NewsPhoenix Metro NewsNorth Phoenix News


Arrest made after man found shot dead in car in Phoenix neighborhood

Posted at 10:56 AM, Apr 16, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-16 13:56:30-04

PHOENIX — An arrest has been made after a 21-year-old hip-hop musician was found shot to death in a vehicle in January.

The shooting occurred the morning of Thursday, Jan. 16 near 26th Street and Shea Boulevard. Police found 21-year-old Lucious Treadwell dead inside a grey Dodge Charger parked in the area.

Treadwell, known as Tre Koast on YouTube, was talented, creative and dedicated much of his time to his love of making hip-hop music.

According to police documents, witnesses say the Charger appeared to have been chased and surveillance video showed a dark-colored SUV turn off its lights before going out of view near where the victim was found.

The scene was about 100 yards away from Treadwell’s father’s home.

Investigators located casings of three different calibers around the victim’s vehicle.

A witness contacted police the next day. They had come in contact with another person who admitted to being involved in the homicide.

They said Treadwell had kidnapped someone days prior and took the Charger.

Documents show the witness told police they followed the Charger for about 40 miles before they followed the vehicle into the neighborhood near 36th Street and Shea Boulevard. Then, one of the men shot into the Charger, hitting Treadwell.

Another witness came forward saying there was a string of robbery attempts and in late 2019, “Luc and three other subjects planned to do a robbery of the subject who would eventually set up the murder of Luc Treadwell,” documents show.

The witness identified the person as Udith Karanath Joby.

Joby would reportedly carry large amounts of money earned by renting California vehicles and taking them to Arizona where he would sell them as his own, as well as by selling marijuana.

Documents show the incidents leading up to the shooting involved multiple people that all knew each other and had grown up together.

Text conversations between Joby and his girlfriend showed a discussion about following the Charger. On April 15, police took Joby into custody.

He denied involvement in the murder and was not able to provide an answer for his whereabouts during the time the shooting occurred.

He was booked into jail on a first-degree murder charge.