Grill starts fire, awakens apartment residents

Posted at 6:52 AM, Feb 22, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-22 11:22:12-05

Phoenix apartment residents got a scary wake-up call Monday morning when fire officials showed up in response to a blaze.

The fire broke out at a two-story complex near 19th Avenue and Thunderbird Road before 6 a.m.

Phoenix Fire Department says when crews arrived, they found a working fire, but were able to quickly isolate it to one unit. Fortunately, they stopped the fire from spreading to other parts of the building.

Fire investigators say an electric grill stored in a balcony closet on the second floor was the cause of the fire.

According to information on scene, no one was injured. Two families have been displaced from their homes from damage.