If you're traveling around north Phoenix or planning to go up north this weekend, you might want to consider some alternate routes. A busy stretch of Interstate 17 will be closed November 15 to 18 for bridge demolition work, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
- Interstate 17 closed in both directions between Deer Valley and Happy Valley roads in north Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday (Nov. 17) for removal of existing Pinnacle Peak Road bridge as part of interchange reconstruction project. Expect heavy traffic and try to use alternate route farther away from primary detour routes.
- DETOUR: Northbound I-17 traffic will detour via the Rose Garden Lane/Deer Valley Road exit and can use eastbound Deer Valley Road to northbound 19th Avenue and either westbound Happy Valley or Jomax roads to reach I-17. Southbound I-17 traffic can detour by exiting to eastbound Jomax Road and using southbound 19th Avenue and westbound Deer Valley Road to reach I-17. Consider Loop 303 as alternate route in West Valley. The northbound I-17 frontage road will be closed between Deer Valley and Happy Valley roads (local access only).
- Note: Pinnacle Peak Road also closed at I-17 from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday (Nov. 17). Pinnacle Peak Road traffic will be switched to new bridge span over I-17 by Sunday night. Meanwhile, the northbound I-17 off-ramp and southbound on-ramp at Pinnacle Peak Road will remain closed for several weeks for construction work. (We have another alternate idea for you as well, if you're traveling northbound. Take 19th Avenue north to Jomax Road. After that intersection, 19th Avenue turns into North Valley Parkway, and you can take that north to Dove Valley Road. Head westbound on that, and you can reconnect to I-17. That way, you are taking a scenic back road and avoiding the detour traffic.)
- Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway/Pecos Road “interim lanes” closed in both directions between 40th Street and 17th Avenue in the Ahwatukee area from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Nov. 18) for traffic shifts and other construction. Eastbound Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway lanes also closed between 40th Street and I-10 from 9 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday (Nov. 16). Please allow extra travel time.
- DETOUR: Chandler Boulevard is the primary detour route.
- Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) narrowed to two lanes in both directions between Scottsdale and Hayden roads in north Scottsdale from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Nov. 18) for freeway widening project.
- DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zones.
- Interstate 10 interchange at 43rd Avenue closed (all on- and off-ramps closed) from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Sunday (Nov. 17) for traffic signal work and other improvements. 43rd Avenue closed in both directions between McDowell Road and Van Buren Street.
- DETOUR: Alternate routes for north-south travel include 35th and 51st avenues.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend!