PHOENIX — Four freeways will shut down this weekend for improvement projects, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between 35th and 67th avenues in west Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 21) for work on the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway interchange. Both I-17 ramps to westbound I-10 at the “Stack” interchange closed. Westbound I-10 on-ramp at 27th Avenue closed. Expect heavy traffic and delays. DETOUR: Alternate routes include westbound and southbound Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) west of I-17 in the West Valley. Drivers also can consider exiting ahead of the closure and using local detour routes, including westbound McDowell Road or Van Buren Street. Note: Westbound I-10 drivers in the Tucson/Casa Grande region with no plans to stop in Phoenix can avoid the closure by detouring on westbound I-8 in Casa Grande to northbound State Route 85 to reach westbound I-10 in Buckeye.
- Westbound Loop 202 (Santan and South Mountain freeways) closed between Kyrene Road and I-10 in Chandler from 10 p.m. Friday to 4 p.m. Saturday (Oct. 19) for freeway construction. Westbound Loop 202 also closed between I-10 and 40th Street in Ahwatukee from 4 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 21). Closure includes both westbound Loop 202 ramps to I-10. DETOUR: Alternate routes include westbound Chandler Boulevard. East Valley drivers who normally use westbound Loop 202 can consider using westbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway) in Tempe to connect with I-10.
- Southbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between Shea Boulevard and Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) from 1 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday (Oct. 19) for pavement sealing project. Expect heavy traffic and delays approaching the closure. DETOUR: Traffic can detour on southbound Hayden Road. Alternate freeway routes include State Route 51 or I-17. Note: Crews will be prepared to reopen sections of southbound Loop 101 as the work progresses Saturday.
- Northbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) and Shea Boulevard from 1 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday (Oct. 20) for pavement sealing project. Both Loop 202 ramps to northbound Loop 101 closed. Expect heavy traffic and delays approaching the closure. DETOUR: Traffic can detour on northbound Scottsdale Road. Alternate freeway routes include State Route 51 or I-17. Note: Crews will be prepared to reopen sections of northbound Loop 101 as the work progresses Sunday.
- Interstate 17 closed in both directions at Happy Valley Road in north Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 19) for interchange reconstruction. Expect heavy traffic and delays. DETOUR: Traffic will detour along the off- and on-ramps at Happy Valley Road. Alternate routes include 19th Avenue.
- Chandler Boulevard closed in both directions at Loop 101 (Price Freeway) from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Saturday (Oct. 19) for bridge work as part of freeway widening project. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes. Chandler Boulevard traffic approaching Loop 101 can detour on freeway frontage roads to nearby open cross streets. Note: The Loop 101 northbound on-ramp from Chandler Boulevard will be closed overnights from 10 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Sunday and from 10 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 21).
Also, there is a race this weekend, offering qualifying spots for the 2020 Ironman 70.3 World Championship in New Zealand. Click here for more information. Expect closures along Rio Salado Parkway. Consider University Drive as an alternate.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend!