NewsLocal NewsInvestigations

Actions

Phoenix approves settlement in officer sex abuse case

Posted: 2:37 PM, Oct 02, 2019
Updated: 2019-10-02 20:21:17-04
Phoenix Police

PHOENIX — The Phoenix City Council has approved a $125,000 payment to a woman who said a police officer stalked her, held her at gunpoint, and sexually harassed her.

The payment is a settlement to a lawsuit filed earlier this year against the City of Phoenix, Officer Marcos Rodriguez, and three other Phoenix officers.

Officer Marcos Rodriguez was placed on administrative leave during an internal investigation. A Phoenix police spokeswoman confirms Rodriguez is still employed by the department. She said the internal investigation is ongoing, and there are no similar complaints on file.

In the lawsuit, Marcela de Jesus Guzman Estrada claimed the Rodriguez first contacted her while she was driving home from the grocery store in August 2018.

Guzman claimed Rodriguez asked her to have coffee with him, but she declined. She said he also showed up at her home later that day. In her home, Guzman claimed Rodriguez propositioned her for sex, grabbed his genitals, put his arm around her neck, and pointed a gun into her rib cage.

After that encounter, Rodriguez continued to text her, according to the lawsuit. Guzman said her complaint about Rodriguez to other officers was not taken seriously.

Guzman said she was "very afraid" and had nightmares. Her lawyer claims Guzman moved to a new apartment, so Rodriguez could not find her. Their lawsuit claimed Guzman's constitutional rights were violated and alleged false imprisonment, assault, and inadequate/negligent training of officers.

ABC15 Investigator Melissa Blasius wants to hear from you. Email her at Melissa.Blasius@abc15.com or follow her on Twitter and Facebook .