You might want to plan on a detour this weekend if you normally take State Route 51.
On Saturday and Sunday, ADOT will be working on a pavement-improvement project that will shut down all northbound lanes of the freeway on Saturday, and all southbound lanes on Sunday.
The interactive map highlights the closure and travel alternatives. Lines in green are officially recommended routes, while routes in purple are city street route alternatives to consider.
Here is a full list of closures:
- SR-51 northbound will be closed from 3 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28, between the Interstate 10 mini-stack interchange to Loop 101 in north Phoenix. Crews will be applying an oil-based treatment to refresh the pavement. The ramps connecting I-10 to Loop 202 to northbound SR 51 will also be closed.
- Pavement-improvement work will begin Saturday on the north end of the northbound stretch of SR 51. Sections of the freeway will reopen in stages.
- Southbound SR 51 will be closed from 3 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 29, between Loop 101 in north Phoenix and the I-10 mini-stack south of McDowell Road. All Loop 101 and Black Mountain Boulevard ramps to southbound SR 51 will be closed.
- Pavement-improvement work will begin on Sunday along the south end of the southbound stretch of SR 51. Again, crews will work in sections and reopen the freeway in stages.
- ADOT will provide updates of freeway progress on social media and on azdot.gov.
For planned Phoenix city street closures, check here .