PHOENIX — The Phoenix Zoo is (almost) back!
After shutting down in March because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Phoenix Zoo said Tuesday it would reopen to members on Saturday and Sunday, June 13-14, and to everyone else on Monday, June 15. It has also added more weekends to its drive-thru "Cruise The Zoo" option for those still interested in seeing the zoo from their vehicles.
"We value the health and safety of our community, members, guests and staff. Therefore, we developed our reopening plans with recommendations by health organizations as well as local and federal authorities in mind," the zoo said in a news release.
Here is what you need to know:
- When it reopens, zoo hours will be 7 a.m. - noon
- All tickets must be purchased in advance from the Phoenix Zoo's website, www.PhoenixZoo.org. Guests will have to select a date that they want to visit.
- Members, too, will have to make a reservation via the zoo's website.
- Tickets to visit the zoo will open on June 1.
- Attendance will be capped at 2,500 people per day to maintain physical distancing
- Employees will wear masks and acrylic guards have been placed around the zoo
- 50 hand-sanitation stations have been placed around the zoo, restrooms and other areas will be cleaned regularly
- Jungle Java, Safari Snacks and Crossroads Café will be open (indoor dining remains closed).
For now, these attractions and experiences remain closed:
- Camel Rides
- Endangered Species Carousel
- 4-D Theater
- Stingray Bay
- Giraffe Encounter
- Monkey Village Walk-Thru (squirrel monkeys are visible from the upper viewing area)
- Orangutan Bilik (inside viewing area of the exhibit)
- Harmony Farm Goat Yard
- Savanna Grill (indoor dining)
- Savanna Overlook at exhibit
- Enchanted Forest Playground
- Leapin’ Lagoon & Yakulla Caverns splash pads
- Playground and play structures on the Children’s Trail
MORE TIME TO CRUISE THE ZOO
The Phoenix Zoo has also extended its drive-thru "Cruise The Experience" into the summer with some "slight modifications," according to a news release.
The zoo has added three weekend in June, July, and August:
- Thursday - Monday, June 4-8
- Thursday - Monday, July 2-6
- Thursday - Monday, Aug. 6-10
Tickets for those dates will go on sale on June 1. The cost is $50 for zoo members and $65 for non-members and tickets have to be purchased in advance via the zoo's website. Buy tickets.
The dates of May 28-31 are sold out, the zoo said.
Hours will be 7 a.m. - noon, but vehicles will need to be in line by 11 a.m. The zoo has also reduced capacity from 650 vehicles to 450 vehicles per day.
IF YOU GO:
455 N Galvin Pkwy., Phoenix, AZ 85008