GLENDALE, AZ — The Tohono O'odham Nation opened its $400 million, 1.2 million-square-foot class III casino -- the new Desert Diamond West Valley Casino -- in Glendale, Arizona on Wednesday evening.
Located slightly east of the Loop 101 near Northern Avenue and 91st Avenue, the new casino features slot machines, poker tables, blackjack tables, live Bingo, two bars, a VIP lounge, and five restaurants and dining areas, including an upscale steakhouse.
The opening marks the end of a years-long battle between the Tribe and government officials over the casino's opening and the types of games it would have. In 2015, an "interim" casino opened in the same area, which closed on Tuesday to coincide with the opening of the new casino on Wednesday.
Here is what people can expect.
- 1,100 slot machines
- 36 poker tables
- 48 blackjack tables
- Live Bingo
- The Nuovo Giorno Italian Bistro: An Italian restaurant.
- The Winners Sports Bar: A sports bar with wall-to-wall TVs and a menu featuring flatbreads, salads, nachos, and chicken tenders, among others.
- The Fortune Cafe Coffee Shop: Open 24 hours with breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.
- The Food Court: A cafeteria-style dining area with Asian, Mexican, and American food.
- The Nineteen 86 Steakhouse: The casino's signature restaurant with aged steaks and chops, seafood, and raw bar.
- Edge Bar: A casual bar outside Nuovo Giorno Italian Bistro.
- Rock Bar: A two-story bar located in the center of the casino.
The Tribe also plans to continue to develop the area around the casino. According to a news release, future plans include potentially building a hotel, spa, and convention center.
IF YOU GO:
Desert Diamond West Valley Casino
9431 W. Northern Ave., Glendale, AZ 85305