CHANDLER, AZ — No surprise here, but temperatures are creeping up in the Valley of the Sun and that means it is time to find indoor activities to keep cool.
A popular and easy activity is to go to the movies. There are multiple theaters around town, it can keep the little ones entertained for a couple hours, and it is air-conditioned. But, it isn't always the least expensive activity once the tickets, popcorn, nachos, candy, and soda are bought.
It doesn't have to be because we found a few ways to save.
We've previously put together a list of movie theaters in the Valley that have movie tickets for $6 or less. Some of these theaters show second-run movies, which means the movies come out out a few weeks after the big weekend premieres, and others have a discount day each week.
Flix Brewhouse, the dine-in theater in downtown Chandler, recently announced its summer promotions.
During the month of July, part of its Flix Junior programming, the theater will have $2 tickets to classic kids films. The discount does not include the recent premieres of Toy Story 4, The Secret Life of Pets 2, or Aladdin.
Instead, the July "Junior" lineup includes The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, Matilda, The Iron Giant, and Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory. Tickets can be purchased, here.
Another promotions is that kids, 12 and younger, can get a free meal with the purchase of an adult meal, through September 30, 2019. It is limited to one kids meal per adult meal bought.
OTHER THEATER PROMOTIONS:
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema : The dine-in movie theater has two theaters in the Valley. They have $6 movie tickets to weekday shows (Monday - Friday) that start before 5 p.m.
- Cinemark Mesa : On Tuesdays, movie tickets are $5.25 each. That includes the newest movies out.
- AMC Theaters : On Tuesdays, Stubs members, AMC's free rewards program, can buy movie tickets for $5 each. You can also buy a small popcorn and a small drink combo for $5. Tickets can be purchased online or via AMC's app . You can register for a free Stubs membership, here . It's available at all AMC, AMC Classic and dine-in theaters. 3-D movies and premium auditoriums do have upcharges.
- Studio Movie Grill : The Scottsdale dine-in theater also has a $5 movie deal on Tuesdays. This one does not require a membership. You can purchase tickets online or at the theater. They also have $5 deals on kids meals, dessert and specialty cocktails. If you want to see a 3-D movie, there will be an additional charge.
- Harkins Theatres : The Arizona theater shows classic movies on Tuesday, part of its " Tuesday night classics " program. You can see classic films like Grease, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Jawsand Top Gun for $5. For the little ones, Harkins "Summer Movie Fun" shows kid-friendly movies throughout the summer for $2 each.
- Flix Brewhouse: On Wednesdays, beginning Jan. 9, 2019, the newly-opened Chandler movie theater will have $5.25 movies all day.
- Picture Show at Paradise Valley Mall : Movies are $4 each on Tuesdays. On other days, movies before noon are $5 each. You may want to buy tickets at the box office because online tickets will be charged a $1.25 processing fee. 3-D screenings will incur a $2.50 upcharge.
- Super Saver Cinemas : Super Saver is a discount theater in Phoenix that shows second- and third-run movies. Tickets are $3.00 regularly and $1.50 on Tuesdays.
- Pollock Tempe Cinemas : The Tempe discount theater shows second- and third-run movies, meaning they've been out of the regular box offices for a while, but it means more savings. Tickets are normally $3.50 each. On Tuesdays, tickets are $2.50.
- Picture Show at Superstition Springs : You may not find the weekend's opening night premiere at this Mesa theater, but it will probably be there in a couple weeks. Tickets are normally $2 each throughout the week. On Tuesdays, they are $1. Tickets bought online will have a $0.50 upcharge. Like the others, 3-D movies will have an additional fee.