There are several scheduled freeway closures this weekend (September 18-21) for improvement projects, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. The closure on Interstate 17 in the north Valley specifically will start and end at different hours than what drivers are used to expecting. So, plan accordingly.
Here is ADOT's Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory, as it appears on the official site:
- Southbound Interstate 17 closed between Jomax and Deer Valley roads from 2 a.m. Saturday to 3 a.m. Monday (Sept. 21) for pavement resurfacing as part of interchange reconstruction project. Expect heavy traffic and delays.
- Detour: Allow extra travel time. Consider alternate routes via westbound State Route 74 or eastbound Carefree Highway. Drivers traveling toward West Valley also can consider using southbound Loop 303 or westbound SR 74 to southbound Lake Pleasant Parkway to reach Peoria area. Southbound I-17 traffic exiting to eastbound Jomax Road will detour along southbound 19th Avenue and westbound Deer Valley Road to return to I-17. Please use caution in work zones.
- Westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) closed between Loop 101 (Price Freeway) and Interstate 10 in the Chandler area from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 21) for pavement improvements. Southbound Loop 101 ramp to westbound Loop 202 closed. Westbound Loop 202 off-ramp at Price Road closed.
- Detour: Alternate routes include northbound Loop 101 to westbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway) to reach I-10. Local traffic can use westbound Chandler Boulevard or Ray Road.
- Eastbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) narrowed to one lane (right lane open) between I-10 and Loop 101 (Price Freeway) in the Chandler area from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 21) for pavement improvements. Eastbound I-10 HOV lane ramp to eastbound Loop 202 closed.
- Detour: Allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes including eastbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway) to southbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway). Local traffic can use eastbound Chandler Boulevard or Ray Road.
- Northbound State Route 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) and exit to Black Mountain Boulevard closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 21) for widening project.
- Detour: Northbound SR 51 traffic can exit to westbound Union Hills Drive and use northbound Seventh Street to access westbound Loop 101.
- Eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) ramp to southbound State Route 143 (Hohokam Expressway) closed overnight from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday (Sept. 19) for maintenance.
- Detour: Consider exiting eastbound Loop 202 to southbound 40th Street and using eastbound Washington Street to reach SR 143.
- Peoria Avenue closed in both directions approaching I-17 from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 21) for storm drain construction. I-17 on- and off-ramps at Peoria Ave closed. Plan on I-17 frontage road closures in the area.
- Detour: Drivers can exit or enter I-17 via Dunlap Avenue or Cactus Road and use 19th or 35th avenues for north-south travel.
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) narrowed to two lanes between SR 51 and 56th Street overnight from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday through Monday nights (Sept. 18-21) for widening project. Eastbound Loop 101 off- and on-ramps at Tatum Boulevard closed.
- Detour: Allow extra travel time and use caution in work zone. Plan on alternate routes while the ramps at Tatum Boulevard are closed overnight.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend!