As part of Major League Baseball's Players Weekend that runs from Aug. 25-27, players will be allowed to put personalized nicknames on the backs of their uniforms. On Wednesday, the Arizona Diamondbacks announced the nicknames chosen by their players, which they'll wear during their series vs. the San Francisco Giants at Chase Field that weekend.
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) August 9, 2017
Here's one guy's take on the five best D-backs nicknames for Players Weekend:
5. Nick Ahmed, "Slick Nick" -- Ahmed has been on the disabled list with a fractured hand since late June, and he won't be eligible to come off the DL until the day after Players Weekend ends. But this is a cool nickname, so it made the list anyway.
4. Archie Bradley, "Hollywood" -- It's just an awesome nickname, and we had to include the D-backs' bearded relief pitcher on this list after his passionate comments about Dodgers fans following Tuesday night's big win.
3. Robbie Ray, "Bob" -- The All-Star southpaw could have picked any super-cool name he wanted, and he went with this. That in itself is pretty awesome. Way to not take yourself too seriously, Robbie -- er, Bob.
2. Chris Herrmann, "Herrm The Worm" -- The obvious choice for the catcher/outfielder would have been "The Hermannator," which he has been called throughout the season. But there's no denying this lesser-used nickname will look great on the back of a baseball uniform.
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) February 23, 2017
1. Fernando Rodney, "Benjamin" -- The D-backs closer honors his late father's memory every time he takes the mound by tilting his cap to the left side of his head. During Players Weekend, the back of his uniform will be used to honor his dad, as well.
Honorable mention: Zack Greinke, "Greinke" -- The former Cy Young Award winner either got super creative with his nickname or didn't put any effort into it by being the only D-back to not change up the back of his jersey for Players Weekend. We suspect it's the latter, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.