The Uber driver who accused Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston of assault released a statement Friday, a day after Winston was suspended by the NFL for the incident.
On Thursday, the NFL suspended Winston, the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, for three games in connection to the incident during an Uber ride in Scottsdale in March 2016. The driver claimed Winston groped her while she was driving him through a fast food restaurant.
ESPN reported the following statement from the Uber driver, identified as Kate, was issued through her attorney:
"I am glad to see the NFL discipline Jameis Winston. I do appreciate his apology, even if it needs some work I would like to publicly acknowledge the NFL Investigators, particularly Lisa Friel and John Iannarelli, for their kind, professional and thorough investigation.
My experience should highlight the importance of believing women when they have the courage to come forward about sexual assault. Perhaps that night could have been prevented if others had been believed before me.
Mr. Winston once said, 'Girls should be silent, polite, and gentle.' I disagree.
In a statement of his own Thursday, the 24-year-old Winston said he was "disappointed" in the NFL's ruling but said he needs to hold himself to a "higher standard on and off the field." Winston had initially called reporting of the incident "false."