PHOENIX — September 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day. In the Valley, more than a dozen breweries are coming together to raise awareness. O.H.S.O. Brewery and Distillery started a campaign to bring attention to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
O.H.S.O. will be selling a special beer named after the lifeline number: 1-800-273-8255. More than a dozen local breweries are doing the same thing this week to coincide with National Suicide Prevention Week. If they can't brew a special beer, they are renaming a one of their beers after the lifeline. Proceeds will go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
Jonathan Lane owns O.H.S.O. and says he started the campaign last year after noticing and he and other friends in the businesses had lost several friends to suicide.
"The whole mission is really awareness," he said. "In our industry and with my friends, we've had a lot unfortunate of suicides. I think if we would've been able to talk about it, or been a part of it, it could've altered that person's life."
Restaurants and bars across the state are taking part as well.
"Suicide was taboo to talk about until a few years ago. Now you see it more and more, especially in the media and what's going on with mental health. My goal was 20 places... next year it's 50, hopefully two years from now it's 200," said Lane.
According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide is the 8th leading cause of death in Arizona and one person dies by suicide every seven hours in the state.
Lane hopes calling attention to the lifeline will make a difference.
"If one conversation saves one life, Amen. We've done it," he said.
O.H.S.O.'s suicide prevention beer is a hazy IPA. A dollar from each sale will be donated to the AFSP. Lane says they will have the beer on tap until it runs out.
Here is the list of breweries, bars and restaurants taking part in the campaign:
- The PERCH Pub & Brewery
- Mother bunch (Phoenix)
- Mudshark (Lake Havasu)
- Walter station (Phoenix)
- 1912 brewing (Tucson)
- Borderlands (Tucson)
- Beaver Street Brewery (Flagstaff)
- Lumberyard Brewery (Flagstaff)
- Huss Brewing & Taproom(Tempe)
- Huss Brewing Taproom (Uptown Phoenix)
- Desert Monks Brewing (Gilbert)
- Prison Hill Brewing (Yuma)
- Button Brew House (Marana)
- The Beer Research Institute (Mesa)
- FlixBrewhouse (Chandler)
- Sedona Beer Co. (Sedona)
- 12 West Brewing (Gilbert)
- Beer Research Institute (Mesa)
- Dark Sky Brewing (Flagstaff)
- Oro Brewing (Mesa)
- North Mountain Brewery (North Phoenix)
- Pedal Haus Brewery (Tempe)
- Little Miss Brewing (Miramar San Diego)
- Little Miss Brewing (Normal Heights San Diego)
- Little Miss Brewing (La Mesa San Diego)
- Little Miss Brewing (East Village San Diego)
- Harbottle Brewing Company (Tucson)
- O.H.S.O. Brewery + Distillery (Paradise Valley)
- O.H.S.O. Brewery + Distillery (Gilbert)
- O.H.S.O. Brewery + Distillery (Arcadia)
- O.H.S.O. Brewery + Distillery (North Scottsdale)
Restaurant & bars
- B2 burgers and brews (Chandler)
- IL Bosco (Scottsdale)
- Pour Wine & Taproom (Mesa)
- The Local (Chandler)
- RKDA (Arcadia)
- Irene’s Tao Room (Phoenix)
- Love Craft (North Phoenix)
- King’s Beer & Wine (Midtown Phoenix)
- Charlie’s (Uptown Phoenix)
- Brill Line Beer & Spirits (Central Phoenix)
- Bottleshop 48 (Tempe)
- Philadelphia Sandwich Co. (Old Town Scottsdale)
- Rewind Beer and Wine Bar (Phoenix)
- Vines & Hops (Old Town Scottsdale)
- Sleepy Whale (Chandler)
- Wandering Tortoise (Phoenix)
- Quarthaus (Chandler)
- Ghett’ Yo’ Taco (Chandler)
- Ginger Monkey (Chandler)
- Pure Cigar Bar (Chandler)
- West Alley BBQ (Chandler)
- Hops on Birch
- Crown Public House
- Fat Willy’s Family Sports Grill (Chandler)
- Fat Willy’s Family Sports Grill (Crismon)
- Fat Willy’s Family Sports Grill (Viewpoint)
- Fat Willy’s Family Sports Grill (Sunland Village)
- The Parlay Kitchen + Cocktails (Chandler)