Fire officials extinguished a garage fire in Peoria that sent a plume of smoke that was visible from miles away.
Peoria Fire-Medical officials along with the Sun City Fire Department were called out to a home near 85th Avenue and Cactus Road shortly after 9 a.m.
Officials were able to knock the flames inside and search the home for anyone stuck inside; four people, a mother and her three children, were able to escape from the home prior to their arrival. There were no injuries to the family; one person was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene of the fire.
Officials said the fire grew quickly after one of the woman's children smelled smoke, went into the garage, opened the door and then saw the fire grow. Officials said this happened when the door was opened as oxygen was added to the fire.
Firefighters are investigating the flames but said it appeared to have been an accidental fire that may have been caused by a candle near a boat that was inside the garage.
The family has been displaced from the home.