The brackets are set and the Final Four is coming to the Valley of the Sun this week.
Tens of thousands of people will flock to the Phoenix metro area and safety is a top concern for law enforcement at all levels across the Valley.
There are three major event centers:
- Fan Fest at the Phoenix Convention Center
- Music Festival (free) at Margaret T. Hance Park in downtown Phoenix
- Final Four games at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale
Heavy security will accompany all events associated with the last three games of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.
Officials have been planning the security protocols for six months. The nervous system of the event security will be housed at the Emergency Operations Center at an undisclosed location in Phoenix. Officers from Phoenix, Glendale, the Department of Public Safety, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, the FBI and other agencies will staff the EOS around the clock starting Thursday and running through Monday's championship game.
"At this time the FBI has no current, credible threats against any of the games or events planned for this week. So we're going to encourage you to get out and make sure you see the games and attend the events. But what we're going to ask you to do is remain vigilant," said Michael DeLeon, FBI special agent in charge of Phoenix.
Phoenix has had lots of experience hosting large outdoor events, with the Super Bowl and College Football Championship recently in town the past few years. The music festival will be similar but with the addition of metal detectors this year.
There are also bag restrictions in place for all three venues:
- Clear plastic bag (12" x 6" x 12') or one gallon-sized plastic storage bag
- Small clutch (5.5" x 8.5"), purse (5.5" x 8.5") or clutch purse (3" x 4")
- Large purses
- Camera bags
- Binocular cases
- Fanny packs/hip packs
- Seat cushions
- Diaper bags
- plastic bags with printed patterns
- Bottles, cans, liquid containers (one sealed water bottle is allowed in University of Phoenix Stadium)
- Alcohol and outside food
- Signs, flag poles, video cameras, tripods, lens longer than 4",