The Tempe Fire Department says two dogs died Monday afternoon in a two story apartment fire.
The fire happened at a complex near Mill Avenue and Baseline Road around 12:15 p.m.
Fire officials say one woman was rescued from the fire by a bystander and is being treated for smoke inhalation.
Brock Savio, a resident of the apartment complex, said he could hear the woman saying she was stuck in the living room when he approached her unit. Luckily, he was able to safely help her out.
"I told her to proceed out the back door where the fire wasn't concentrated really, and then I ran around the back," Savio said.
Betty Anne Mitchell, another neighbor, said she fled the area immediately.
"I got my dog and took off," Mitchell said. "I saw flames shooting out of the black of the apartment."
The fire started on the first floor of the building and spread to the second floor before firefighters got it under control.
It's believed the fire sparked because of an unattended oil left on the stove, according to officials. However, the investigation is ongoing.
The building was evacuated as a precaution, but no other residents are believed to be injured.
Two apartment units were heavily damaged and are uninhabitable. The Red Cross is stepping in to help three adults and a baby who are now without a home.
Stay with ABC15 and ABC15.com for more on this developing situation.