Man, cat rescued after resident torches roof

Posted at 7:57 PM, Apr 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-04 01:23:35-04

A man and his cat are lucky to be alive Sunday after a blaze that started off as house work, according to the Mesa Fire Department.

Officials said the homeowner was working on his roof with a torch when the home’s attic and back room caught fire near Broadway and Hawes roads.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire and rescue the man and his cat from any serious injuries. The man was treated for mild smoke inhalation and his cat is doing OK after being treated with oxygen.