NewsSoutheast Valley NewsMesa News


Child hospitalized, dozen others evaluated after eating “pixie stick” substance at Mesa school

Posted at 12:22 PM, Feb 01, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-01 19:20:37-05

MESA, AZ — One student has been hospitalized and more than a dozen others were evaluated after eating a “pixie stick” type substance at Eisenhower Elementary.

Mesa police say a student shared a candy with other students, and some of those students then showed signs of nausea and dizziness.

The Mesa Fire Department says an 11-year-old girl has been taken to the hospital to be evaluated and approximately 15 other minors were evaluated and released to parents at the school.

Mesa police say crews tested the substance and testing came back negative for any drugs or foreign substances.

A spokesperson for Mesa Public Schools released the following statement:

"This morning, a number of fifth-grade students at Eisenhower Center for Innovation reported feeling nauseated and dizzy after eating sugar-filled candy straws brought by a fellow student. As a precaution, the school contacted emergency services. Per the parent's direction, one student was transported to the hospital for further evaluation. The rest were evaluated on site and released to their parents. Mesa Police tested the candy and told the district no trace of illegal or foreign substances was found."