Man hospitalized in Chandler chemical fire

Posted at 3:58 PM, Mar 31, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-01 01:16:15-04

Firefighters said an employee was taken to the hospital with significant injuries after a chemical spill and fire in Chandler Thursday.

Chandler fire responded to Isola USA, near the intersection of N. Price and W. Fry roads, for a reported chemical spill.

Firefighters said a 5-gallon drum of toluene ignited while it was being moved, burning a worker. Units from Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert also responded because of the hazardous material situation. Toluene is widely used as an industrial solvent and is listed as highly flammable in its liquid form, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Chandler fire said the flames were put out, but firefighters remained on the scene as of 3:30 p.m.

Those inside the building were evacuated and will be let in later Thursday to retrieve keys and other items left behind.