NewsSoutheast Valley NewsChandler News

Actions

First alarm fire breaks out at Chandler apartment complex near Chandler Boulevard/Alma School Road

1A Apartment Fire Chandler
Posted at 10:25 AM, Jul 28, 2019

CHANDLER — A first alarm fire broke out an apartment complex near Chandler Boulevard and Alma School Road shortly before 10 a.m. on Sunday.

According to a spokesperson from the Chandler Fire Department, a resident was out walking his dog and returned home to see flames shooting out from beneath his doorway.

First responders were able to extinguish the fire quickly, and say there were no injuries to firefighters or residents.

A cat owned by the resident whose apartment caught fire did suffer from smoke inhalation, but was revived by first responders, Chandler Fire says.

Additionally, a resident who lived across from the apartment that caught fire was rescued from her apartment by first responders after she opened her apartment door and saw flames across the way. She was uninjured, according to the Chandler Fire spokesperson.

Around 50 fire fighters from the Mesa, Gilbert and Chandler fire departments responded to the fire.

The Greater Phoenix Chapter of the American Red Cross says they are assisting multiple families affected by the fire, including 12 adults and seven children from four apartment units in the complex.

At this time, it is unclear how the fire began.