Police identify man killed after being electrocuted in Chandler

CHANDLER, AZ - Chandler police have identified a man killed after being electrocuted Saturday night as 28-year-old Jarret Thomas Vartanian. 

According to police, just after 7 p.m. officers responded to a home near Cooper Road and Chandler Boulevard for a report of a man who had been electrocuted inside the garage. 

As officers arrived, they located Vartanian inside the garage, and he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Police say Vartanian was apparently involved in a woodworking project when the accident happened. 

"He would have made some very huge impacts on the world," said Tammy Vartanian, Jarret's mother. 

Tammy told ABC15 her son has a science background and enjoys taking on projects. According to her, Jarret was involved with an art project that involved wood-burning when the accident happened inside his garage Saturday night. 

"That's why I think our whole family is in shock," she said. "We all know he knew about safety. We don't know how it happened."

Vartanian's family says Jarret was a graduate of the University of Arizona and just got married last year. Tammy says her son dealt with woodworking growing up and his father routinely preached safety. 

"(Jarret) loved that kind of stuff," Tammy Vartanian said. "He was always adventurous, he snowboarded, he just was an amazing guy."

Two accounts have been setup to help the victim. The first account and second accounts can be found here.

The National Fire Protection Association has the following tips on electrical safety:

  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
  • When you are buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements.
  • Only use one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
  • Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
  • Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) shut off electricity when a dangerous condition occurs. Consider having them installed in your home.
  • Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
  • Test AFCIs and GFCIs once a month according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. You do not need a flame to start a fire. Fires can start when heat builds up near things that burn. This can happen when a hot light bulb is near things that burn, such as cloth or paper, or a cord has been placed under a carpet.
  • Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
  • Use a light bulb with the right number of watts. There should be a sticker that indicates the right number of watts.
Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ