NewsPhoenix Metro NewsWest Phoenix News

Actions

Family of Jacob Harris files $6 million claim against Phoenix in deadly shooting

KNXV Roland Harris Jacob Harris Notice of Claim.jpg
Posted at 3:06 PM, Jun 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-27 18:41:28-04

PHOENIX — The family of a 19-year-old shot and killed by police earlier this year is seeking $6 million from the city.

Lawyers and relatives of Jacob Harris will hold a 3 p.m. news conference to talk about the notice of claim filed against the City of Phoenix.

Harris was shot and killed in January after an armed robbery in Avondale.

Phoenix police say Harris and others robbed a fast food restaurant near Dysart and Van Buren on January 11. Phoenix officers spotted the suspect vehicle near 91st Avenue and Camelback Road and began to follow.

The vehicle stopped, and police say Harris got out and pointed a gun at officers, leading them to fire. However, the Harris family says video from a police helicopter shows Harris running away, not turning toward officers.

"The police murdered my son," Jacob's father, Roland Harris, said in a news release. "They shot Jacob in the back. They lied about Jacob and made up a story that he threatened them. It never happened. The only thing my son did was run for his life and the cops shot him in cold blood."