Two pet hamsters die in South Phoenix home fire

Posted at 4:47 PM, Mar 27, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-27 22:02:39-04

Two pet hamsters died in a fire at a home near 15th Avenue and Dobbins Road on Sunday afternoon.

The Phoenix Fire Department said a man who was in his home noticed the smell of smoke and also heard loud noises. When the homeowner went to investigate, he noticed his back patio was on fire. 

Officials say the man safely escaped, but was not able to rescue two pet hamsters living in the home. 

Fire fighters took control of the fire and were able to protect other homes in the neighborhood.

The individual will be working with officials to arrange for separate living arrangements.