Boy burned in Phoenix house fire, Christmas tree wiring suspected as cause

PHOENIX - Fire investigators say a family's Christmas tree wiring is suspected as the cause of a house fire in Phoenix Sunday morning. 

According to the Phoenix Fire Department, around 3:15 a.m. crews were called to a house fire near 35th and Southern avenues. 

Fire officials say the family of four was awoken by their smoke detectors and encountered heavy smoke and fire. 

An 11-year-old boy was taken to the hospital in stable condition after he suffered burns to his torso, hands, and face. The boy also suffered smoke inhalation. 

The rest of the family, the mother, and two older siblings were able to make it out of the home without injury. 

One of the family's neighbors, Alonso Reyes, helped save the children from the fire.

"He was going to jump off the roof, so I ran up just in time, when I ran up I caught him," said Reyes. "Their mother gave me a big hug and she thanked me for what I did, for getting her children off in time and getting them to safety."

Fire officials say the fire was caused by wiring on a Christmas tree.

"We always want to remind people to check their Christmas trees," said Phoenix fire captain Larry Subervi. "They should shut them off before they go to bed at night and really make sure they have new lighting and wiring that's designed for indoor-outdoor use." 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ