Phoenix FD: Girl, father severely burned in incident involving flammable liquids

Posted at 7:23 PM, Mar 17, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-19 21:37:05-04

An 8-year-old girl and her father are being treated for severe burns following an accident involving flammable liquids in north Phoenix on Saturday night. 

The incident happened at a residence near Deer Valley Drive and Cave Creek Road around 6:15 p.m. 

"The information provided to us was that some sort of explosion involving flammable liquids and open flame occurred causing the injuries," said Captain Jake Van Hook with the Phoenix Fire Department.

Both were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to fire officials. 

"It is unclear whether the open flame was a cooking fire, warming fire, or a fire simply for ambience," Van Hook said. 

Phoenix police are investigating the incident. 

A GoFundMe has since been set up to cover medical expenses. The site also identified Isabella as the girl involved in the incident.

ABC15 spoke to Jason Pena, a neighbor who came to Isabella's rescue. 

According to Pena, Isabella was standing just a few feet away from the fire and heard a loud bang.  

He saw her dad run across the street and Isabella collapse on the ground right where she was. That's when he grabbed her, threw her on the grass and used his body to smother the flames.  

"God bless her.  She is an amazing little girl.  I'll tell you.  She's smart; she's so friendly, she's well-spoken, well-mannered," Pena said.

Phoenix fire says this is a reminder to never use any kind of accelerant to start a fire.  

Fire officials say gasoline is used to power vehicles and machinery it should not be used to start a backyard fire for your family. They say exercise patience, use kindling, newspapers to start a fire, never accelerants. 

According to a public information officer at the Maricopa Integrated Health System Burn Center, Isabella has had several surgeries, and her dad was discharged from the hospital Monday morning.