Several freeway closures are happening this weekend in the Phoenix area, including a two-mile section of I-17 shutting down. The Arizona Department of Transportation says drivers should consider alternate routes to steer clear of the restrictions. Here is ADOT’s list of planned freeway restrictions this weekend (May 5-8):
- • Northbound Interstate 17 closed between Camelback Road and Glendale Avenue from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (May 8) for rubberized asphalt resurfacing. Consider alternate routes, including northbound State Route 51. Bethany Home Road and Glendale Avenue both narrowed to one direction in each direction at I-17, with no left turns allowed. Consider other local streets for east-west travel, including Northern Avenue. Southbound I-17 off-ramp at Glendale Avenue closed. Southbound HOV lane closed between Glendale Avenue and Camelback Road. DETOUR: Northbound I-17 traffic exiting at Camelback Road can detour along frontage road or use 19th or 27th avenues. Consider alternate routes due to anticipated heavy traffic.
- • Southbound Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) ramp to eastbound Interstate 10 in West Valley closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (May 8) for bridge work. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes to limit delays. Drivers can exit southbound Loop 101 to eastbound McDowell Road and use southbound 91st Avenue to access eastbound I-10.
- • Westbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane between Estrella Parkway and Perryville Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday (May 6) and from 10 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (May 7) for lane striping and bridge work. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zones. Note: Westbound I-10 ramp to northbound Loop 303 and southbound Loop 303 ramp to westbound I-10 closed from 10 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (May 7). Please plan ahead for westbound I-10 on- and off-ramp closures in the area on Saturday night and Sunday morning.
- • Westbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) ramps to northbound State Route 51 andeastbound I-10 at “Mini-Stack” interchange closed overnight from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday (May 6) for maintenance. Westbound Loop 202 on-ramp at 32nd Street and off-ramp at 24th Street closed. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes. Drivers can exit westbound Loop 202 at 32nd Street and use westbound Washington Street to access I-10 or use westbound McDowell Road to access northbound SR 51. Note: Westbound Loop 202 ramps to westbound I-10 will remain open.
- • Eastbound Interstate 10 closed overnight at 59th Avenue in west Phoenix from 11 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (May 8) for construction of Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway interchange. DETOUR: Allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes. Eastbound I-10 traffic will detour along the off- and on-ramps at 59th Avenue.
- • Grand Avenue (US 60) narrowed to one lane in each direction at Greenway Road from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Sunday (May 7) for resurfacing of intersection. Greenway Road closed at Grand Avenue. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes, including Bell Road. Some drivers will use Thompson Ranch Road/Santa Fe Drive.