Phoenix family of four hospitalized after using BBQ to warm apartment

PHOENIX - A family was taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide incident from an inside barbecue in Phoenix.

Phoenix fire says crews from one station were called to an apartment complex near 29th Street and Indian School Road around 5 a.m. on Tuesday. Moments later, another station was dispatched to the same complex for a woman having a seizure. 

Officials say the woman suffering from the seizure was directly below the initial call where a carbon monoxide alarm was going off. 

The woman's family was reportedly using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment. A man in the family reportedly passed out prior to the arrival of emergency crews. An infant and 4-year-old child were also in the unit but did not show any signs of distress.

All four people were taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Fire officials say this serves as a good reminder to not use any type of barbecue, grill or other combustion-type equipment to provide warmth. 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ