Family escapes Christmas Day house fire in PHX

Posted at 7:34 AM, Dec 25, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-26 00:56:53-05

A Phoenix family has to spend their Christmas morning cleaning up ashes and having to figure out where they are going to sleep next after their home caught fire.

Fire officials said the family of four was sleeping at the house on East Hartford Avenue, near 32nd street and Bell Road, some time after 1 a.m. Friday when one of the children noticed smoke coming out of their new fireplace and alerted his parents and sibling. 

The family was able to escape unharmed, but are now displaced while firefighters investigate the blaze.

Officials said it looks as though the fire started in the crawl space underneath the home but it is unclear what sparked the flames.