MCACC: Stray dog 'infested with maggots' now on the mend

PHOENIX - A stray dog being "eaten alive" by maggots is now on the mend, thanks to some TLC from Maricopa County Animal Care and Control.

Spokesman Jose Miguel said the Shih Tzu was discovered as a stray when MCACC was contacted about the animal being found hiding underneath a car.

The dog was reportedly being "eaten alive" by the bugs, and was near death due to the infestation and being malnourished.

Miguel said it is "one of the worst cases of a sick or injured animal" MCACC has had in some time. 

Veterinarians were able to save the pup, but Miguel said she will be completely blind.

The 7-year-old Shih Tzu, now named Miracle, is eating on her own and is said to get along with both humans and furry friends.

Miguel said Miracle still has recovery time ahead, but MCACC is confident she will eventually be a great dog for a loving family.

For more information on MCACC, visit their website.

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ