Candle believed to have sparked Phoenix house fire; fire crews investigating

PHOENIX - A candle may be the cause of an early morning fire at a Phoenix home where six people were sleeping. 

The scene was off 19th Avenue and Adams Street early Friday morning. 

Christina Copplend ran over once she realized it was her sister's home on fire. Copplend says her sister's family had recently been evicted and the power was shut off. 

However, they continued to live in the home. Copplend says one of the sons lit a candle in the living room last night so his autistic brother could see in the dark. 

They think the candle burned down and sparked a fire.

Everyone inside was able to get out except two pets, according to fire officials. 

Fire investigators will try to verify the story through their own investigation. 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ