Prescott Fire officials say one wallaby was killed and another significantly injured in a Monday evening fire at the Heritage Park Zoo.
Officials received a call about a building on fire around 6 p.m. Monday. The first crews on scene found a small building fully involved and a second building that was also on fire.
The buildings were reportedly part of housing for wallabies and donkeys at the zoo.
Zoo personnel worked to retrieve the animals from the area while fire crews put out the flames.
One wallaby reportedly died in the fire and another was taken from the structure with significant injuries. Fire crews used a “Fido bag” on the wallaby to administer oxygen.
A veterinarian took the injured wallaby, along with three others, to a local animal hospital. Fire officials say all of the other wallabies that escaped the area during the fire were located.
An estimated $10,000 of damage was caused by the fire.
Officials believe the blaze started from a heat lamp in the structure that was used to keep the animals warm.
The zoo is open for normal business hours on Tuesday and zoo officials say the animals affected by the fire have been relocated.