SCOTTSDALE, AZ — A Scottsdale man was arrested Monday afternoon after pouring hot water on a woman who was overdosing, causing severe burns to her body.
According to police documents, officers were called to a residence near Hayden and McKellips roads after a man called to report that a woman was not breathing. He reportedly thought she was overdosing on heroin.
The caller, identified as 63-year-old Gary Rundle, told dispatchers that he had been pouring hot water on the victim, paperwork says. He later told officials he was pouring water on her to “stimulate her adrenaline” to save her from the possible overdose.
Rundle told officials he poured 10 sauce pans full of hot tap water on the victim. He said he tried cold water, but it did not make her “move and moan” amid her unresponsive state.
Police say the water was about 150 degrees and Rundle admitted to knowing it was “too hot.” However, he says he didn't think it would cause serious injuries.
An officer said in a police report, “He asked me what was worse, a blast of hot water or dying?”
Police say the victim was taken to the hospital with severe life-threatening burns to her body and the hospital said she was in critical condition.
He showed signs of heavy intoxication and admitted to drinking before the incident, police say.
Later, Rundle told officers he provided the victim with heroin and then hid the syringe under a shed.
He was booked into jail on an aggravated assault charge.