FD: Unattended cooking causes Scottsdale fire

Posted at 6:55 AM, Dec 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-27 15:19:28-05

The Scottsdale Fire Department says a deadly house fire was unintentional.

Fire crews arrived at the home shortly after 5:30 a.m. on Friday in the area of Hayden Road and Via De Ventura.

Upon arrival, crews reported heavy fire and smoke coming from the back of the home. Crews were able to get the fire under control and during a search of the structure discovered a man. 

Crews brought the man out and tried to revive him, with no success. He was pronounced dead on scene.

Scottsdale police have identified the man as 51-year-old Scott Michael Stephens.

Scottsdale fire believes the fire was caused by unattended cooking.