Three Valley freeways will shut down for improvement projects this weekend, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Be sure to follow the detours and plan ahead for potential delays on I-10 in Phoenix heading to the west Valley, Loop 101 in north Phoenix and Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway in the east Valley. Take special note of the ongoing closure for Loop 101 and Seventh Street.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between 35th and 67th avenues in west Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 16) for paving as part of Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway interchange project. Both Interstate 17 ramps to westbound I-10 at the “Stack” interchange and the westbound I-10 on-ramp at 27th Avenue closed. Expect heavy traffic and delays.
- DETOUR: Exiting ahead of the closure and using alternate routes is recommended. Alternate routes include I-17 to westbound Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) in the West Valley to connect with westbound I-10. Local traffic can detour on westbound McDowell Road and Van Buren Street.
- Note: Westbound I-10 traffic in the Tucson/Casa Grande region traveling beyond Phoenix can avoid closure by using westbound I-8 starting in Casa Grande to northbound SR 85 to reach westbound I-10 in Buckeye.
- Westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between State Route 51 and Cave Creek Road in northeast Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 16) for freeway widening project. Westbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Tatum Boulevard also closed. Northbound SR 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 closed. Westbound Loop 101 HOV lane ramp to southbound SR 51 closed. Expect heavy traffic and delays.
- DETOUR: Westbound Loop 101 traffic can detour on primary exit ramp to southbound SR 51 and use westbound Union Hills Drive or Bell Road to northbound Cave Creek Road to reach Loop 101. Westbound Loop 101 traffic exiting ahead of the closure at 56th Street or Tatum Boulevard can detour on westbound Deer Valley Road or Bell Road to Cave Creek Road. Northbound SR 51 drivers can consider using westbound Bell Road or Union Hills Drive to northbound Cave Creek Road while SR 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 is closed.
- Note: The westbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Seventh Street is now closed until March 2020 for construction. Alternate routes include the westbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Seventh Avenue.
- Northbound/Westbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) closed between US 60 (Superstition Freeway) and Higley Road in Mesa from 12:01 a.m. Saturday to 12:01 a.m. Sunday (Sept. 15) for pavement maintenance. Both US 60 ramps to northbound Loop 202 closed.
- DETOUR: Alternate routes include eastbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway). Local traffic can detour on eastbound McKellips Road.
- Note: Crews will be prepared to reopen sections of Loop 202 ahead of schedule as the fog sealing work progresses.
- Westbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) closed between Higley Road in Mesa and Loop 101 in Tempe from 12:01 a.m. Sunday to 12:01 a.m. Monday (Sept. 16) for pavement maintenance.
- DETOUR: Alternate routes include westbound US 60 to northbound Loop 101 to reach westbound Loop 202. Local alternate routes include westbound McKellips Road.
- Note: Crews will be prepared to reopen sections of eastbound Loop 202 ahead of schedule as the fog sealing work progresses.
- Chandler Boulevard closed in both directions at Loop 101 (Price Freeway) from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 16) for bridge work as part of freeway widening project.
- DETOUR: Consider alternate routes, including Ray or Frye roads. Traffic on Chandler Boulevard approaching Loop 101 can detour on Price frontage roads to reach nearby open cross streets.
- Desert Foothills Parkway closed between Glenhaven Drive and Pecos Road in the Ahwatukee area from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 16) for Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway construction.
- DETOUR: Alternate routes include 17th Avenue, Chandler Boulevard and/or 24th Street. Access to the post office will be maintained.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend!