The 2021 Rose Parade has been canceled due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, marking the fourth time in its history that it has been canceled. Planning for the Rose Bowl game is ongoing, the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association said Wednesday.
“The health and well-being of our parade participants and guests, as well as that of our volunteer members, professional staff and partners, is our number one priority,” said Bob Miller, the 2021 President of the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, in a statement. “Obviously this is not what any of us wanted, and we held off on announcing until we were absolutely sure that safety restrictions would prevent us from continuing with planning for 132nd Rose Parade.”
With tremendous disappointment, we are unable to host the 2021 #RoseParade. We will miss the joy of coming together for the Rose Parade, but will not miss this opportunity to celebrate a New Year & healthy new beginnings on January 1. READ MORE: https://t.co/ZRxXhxNWKF pic.twitter.com/YbobU3PmmZ— Rose Parade (@RoseParade) July 15, 2020
The Rose Parade has previously been canceled in 1942, 1943 and 1945, during World World II.
“We continue to work with the College Football Playoff and our collegiate partners to explore what this year’s college football season will look like amidst COVID-19 and social distancing guidelines. While the safety and well-being of the student athletes, university personnel and fans is our top priority, we remain hopeful that the Granddaddy of Them All will take place on New Year’s Day," said David Eads, executive director and CEO of Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, in a statement.