News

Actions

Orlando nightclub gunman Omar Mateen's father says he's stunned by possible act of terrorism by son

Posted: 8:52 AM, Jun 12, 2016
Updated: 2016-06-12 13:48:38-04

After 50 people were killed and more than 50 hurt in a mass shooting at an Orlando nightclub Sunday morning, the father of the gunman spoke to media and said he is just as shocked as the rest of the nation.

RELATED: Vigil scheduled in downtown Phoenix for Orlando shooting victims

"... We are apologizing for the whole incident," the father said. "We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country.

RELATED:  MAP: Mass shootings in the U.S. in 2016 so far

"This had nothing to do with religion," he said to NBC News.

An assault rifle was used in the shootings by Mateen, a 29-year-old U.S. citizen from Port St. Lucie, Fla.

RELATED: What we know about Omar Mateen, suspected Orlando nightclub shooter

It happened at Pulse, a gay nightclub in the popular tourist city. 

Null