NewsNational News

Actions

Marvel Comics to cancel The Fantastic Four in battle over movie rights

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KNXV.png
Posted at 7:23 PM, Oct 13, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-14 08:04:34-04

The final chapter of Marvel's "The Fantastic Four" series is in the works. 

That's according to the series writer, James Robinson, who revealed the news at New York Comic Con Sunday. 

This really isn't too shocking. Earlier this month, comic blog Bleeding Cool reported that a Marvel source had said the company was going to stop publishing "The Fantastic Four" comics as a way to snub 20th Century Fox, which owns the film rights to the series.

"The belief inside the higher echelons of Marvel is that promoting these properties in comics only benefits Fox's movies at the expense of those from Marvel Studios," the blog said.

Not surprisingly, Fox was the one to decide to reboot the film franchise, not Marvel. This is because it's the only way for Fox to hold onto its license for the film rights to the series. The new film stars Kate Mara and Miles Teller and is slated for release in 2015. 

The epic battle between Fox and Marvel continues through time, space and this Newsy video: