Layne Chesney, the Florida teenager who was badly burned in a New Year's Eve bonfire, has died. She was 15.
Chesney was burned over the majority of her body. She had been recovering in a hospital since the incident on Dec. 31, 2017.
According to a post on her mother's Facebook page, Layne died today.
"Layne was called home today by our creator. She fought a hard battle right until the end- never wanting to quit- because quitting was not in her nature..." says the post, which was published just before 12:30 p.m.
"We are heart broken, but remain always grateful that she was a part of our lives and world- we just wish it had been for a lot longer with us here on Earth.
"We ask that you give the family time to grieve. Leigh Ann has asked that contacts not be made as they all need time to grieve, process, and move through this terrible loss.
"Thank you all for your love, prayers and support that you have shown for Layne and our family. We are broken."
In December, close to the anniversary of the fire, her mother Leigh Ann Chesney said that Layne was fighting through good and bad days .
Layne was burned after she tried to put gasoline on a fire-pit at a friend's house, and the can exploded, the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office said. Three other people were injured.
The Fort Pierce teen attended Lincoln Park Academy and was a star softball player with the Jensen Beach Wildcats.