With teens getting ready to go back to school, many parents are putting their first vehicle on the teen's back-to-school shopping list.
However, car safety should be the No. 1 priority for picking the right set of wheels.
As a go-to source for automotive information, AAA Car Buying experts can help you pick the best car under $12,000 for your high-schooler or college-bound teen:
- 2011-2014 Kia Soul – This front-wheel drive, five-passenger and five-door hatchback is the perfect “starter” car. The fuel economy is rated at 24 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, which is perfect for getting to and from school.
- 2011-2012 Honda Civic – The Civic is a well-rounded car that consistently has been a top-ranked used car. The sedan offers excellent gas mileage, a roomy interior with features like Bluetooth, a USB port and standard electronic stability control.
- 2011-2014 Nissan Leaf – Choosing the electric Leaf means you’ll never need to visit a gas station again, with a driving range of about 75 miles before needing a full recharge. The Leaf comes with a lot of standard features including a navigation system, Bluetooth, a USB port and push-button start.
- 2011-2013 Mazda3 – The Mazda3 is one of the best-performing small used cars and has a quality interior and a competitive list of interior features.
- 2009-2011 Hyundai Sonata – The roomy midsize sedan features a six-speaker stereo with a USB port and satellite radio. If you want more style, the 2011 Sonata is worth a look but you’ll pay a bit more for the newer vehicle.
- 2009-2013 Hyundai Elantra – The Elantra is one of the most affordable and desirable used cars available today. Even the basic model comes with standard features, gets excellent fuel economy, has a large trunk and a smooth ride.
AAA Car Buying experts can help you pick any vehicle to fit your needs.
For more information, visit AAA.com/carbuying.