NewsLet Joe Know


Not all contractor licenses are created equally

Posted at 8:06 AM, Jan 04, 2019
and last updated 2020-01-01 11:45:31-05

PHOENIX, AZ — More important than simply hiring a contractor with a valid license number is hiring a contractor who is qualified to do the job.

According to the Arizona Registrar Contractors (AZROC) there are more than 50 different classifications for residential licenses. Knowing which one you need to competently do the work can save you time and money in the long run.

"All construction in Arizona requires a contractors license," says Jeff Wills AZROC Assistant Director Compliance & Chief of Investigations.

But not every license is qualifies a contractor to do every job. To figure out which you need for your home Wills says to start with the letters R and B.

Classifications that include an "R" mean that the contractor is licensed to work on residential homes.

For example R-9 licensed entities are able to work with concrete. R-8 licenses are required for flooring installations like tile and carpet.

"B" classifications are for general contractors.

"They are able to perform and subcontract most work," Wills says.

Examples include B-3 license holders who can remodel and repair existing residential structures with some exceptions. And B-5 licensed companies can build swimming pools.

Some licenses don't allow for contracts above a certain amount, and others require that particular parts of the job be done by licensed subcontractors.

See some of the most popular licenses and work they are allowed to do here.

There is a lot to consider but don't let that intimidate you out of doing your homework.

"If consumers have questions about that they should reall contact our office an we can walk them through the process," Wills says.

You can also find the information on the AZROC website when looking up a company's history. The "Class & Description" section says what type of work each company is allowed to do.